Image Map

Sunday, December 26, 2010

A VERY Belly Christmas and a BURSTING with Flavor Cake


Sending all of you a VERY Merry Christmas and a Happy, Happy New Year as I burst at the seams with only 3 weeks (approximately :-) left of my pregnancy.   I wishing each and everyone of you a joyous and happy New Year too!  Again, my cup runith over with gratitude and happiness for all that I have gained and experienced this past year in my daily life adventures outside of this blog and "inside" of it too.  I truly feel blessed and honored to be so fortunate with such a wonderfully full life.

Speaking of "full" I have a lovely cake FULL of flavor that I made through

The Cake Slice Baker's group last week.



Lauren Chattman author and creator of Cake Keeper Cakes gives this cake a very simple title of, Cranberry Cake but I think it should be called, Fabulous Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake.  I state this because this cake is amazing in all its simple glory of having fresh cranberries surrounded by a moist and sweet cake that is finished off by a delightfully crunchy almond topping.....reminding me of a coffee cake rather than just a simple cake.  It could be eaten for breakfast, at tea time and even as a wonderful dessert after dinner.  And it is super, super easy to put together.  In fifteen minutes flat I had the cake stirred up and placed in the oven baking away happily.  The hardest part was waiting for it to be done.  It does take a good hour for this treasure to bake.  I learned from the other talented ladies in the TCSB's group that the oven temp of the original recipe actually needed to be increased to 325 as 300 took forever for it to fully bake the cake.  Even at 325 I still had to bake the cake longer than I anticipated.  The middle of the cake just needed that extra time to fully bake. 



That being said all you need is a bag of FRESH cranberries, regular ingredients in your pantry and some good ole fashioned "patience" to allow the cake to bake to its fullest.  You will then have a master piece of a festive cake that will bring happiness and YUMMINESS to many.  Bake and share this cake ASAP!




Cranberry Cake (also known to me as Fabulous Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake)
(recipe from Cake Keepers Cakes by Lauren Chattman)

Streusel Topping Ingredients:

1 cup sliced almonds

2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted

2 Tbsp packed brown sugar

Cake Ingredients:

2 cup flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

3 large eggs

2 cup sugar

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 bag (12 oz) FRESH cranberries



Streusel Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Grease a 10" round springform pan.

2. Combine sliced almonds, melted butter and 2 Tbsp's  brown sugar in a medium bowl.  Mix all together and then refrigerate until ready to use.

Cake Directions:

1. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt...whisk all together.

2. In a large bowl combine eggs and sugar - beat with an electric mixer on medium-high heat for a good 5 minutes.  Mixture will become light and fluffy and increased in volume.

3. Turn mixer down to low and slowly add in melted and cooled (1 1/2 sticks) of butter.  Turn mixer up to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes.  Add in vanilla extract at the end of 2 minutes. 

4.  Gently mix in flour - 1/2 cup at a time.  Then stir in FRESH cranberries.

5. Pour batter into prepared springform pan.  Smooth top of cake with a rubber spatula.  Sprinkle cake with Streusel Topping prepared previously.

6. Bake cake for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Cake will be golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean when cake is done.  If you feel like your cake is getting too brown too fast yet needs more time to bake cover with tin foil as it completes it's baking time.

7. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes and then release sides of the springform pan.  Cool completely, cut into slices and serve.

Happiness with FRESH cranberries will be enjoyed by all!



Happy Cranberry Cake Baking!






15 comments:

  1. Avril, that cake sounds wonderful! Nice to see the update on your new one, arriving soon. Take care, and thanks for the wonderful recipes you have shared with everyone throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the baby belly my friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That has to be one of the cutest baby belly photos EVER! Congrats on your impending arrival, and sending warm thoughts your way!

    And this cake? Good heavens...I'm sad I found this AFTER Christmas. But I'm not daunted. I'll just make it anyway because I'm a rebel like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your belly pic! The old Chinese folks say, when your belly is huge and round, it's a girl, if it is oval, then it's a boy!
    Your cake looks marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the belly photo, Avril! You are too funny! Love the cake, too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake looks so good. The pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your baby belly:) Your cake looks delicious too! Can't wait till your baby's born:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great picture. Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so excited because I have a package of cranberries in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the belly picture...adorable. I didnt take enough of those when I was pregnant. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cake looks delicious! I love anything with almonds. Your belly pic is beautiful, good luck with the last few weeks until baby arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a very beautiful belly. I would say, baby is just about baked! Do youknow if you're having a boy or girl? I was thinking about this the other day and I have a feeling it will be a boy, but who knows :-)

    This cake was delicious and yes, I think it should be called "Fabulous Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake" as well.

    Happy New Year hon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cake sounds perfect this time of year. I've rediscovered a love of cranberries recently and am anxious to try this. Hope you had a blessed Christmas and wishing you a Happy and Blessed New Year!!! Looking so forward to seeing pics of your new baby when he/she arrives!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the picture. What a great momento. Love this cake. Yum I am hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the belly picture!!! I'm so glad you were able to make this cake. It was yummy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis